Cloning a hard drive. AVG firewall off warning.

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

burger2227
Veteran

Cloning a hard drive. AVG firewall off warning.

Post by burger2227 »

Today I decided to install a Western Digital 250 G hard drive to replace two other drives that were starting to wear out, I thought.

After two times trying to clone it, I resorted to the web, after I restored the network that quit.

I found out that I had to format the HD first. The software never mentioned that or gave any kind of indication that something was wrong. It just quit and went straight to Windows. I called Western Digital and the first thing they wanted was the S/N on the hard drive before they could answer my questions. I just blew them off by saying it was in the PC and I could not get it out.

The tech told me to go into System Administrative, Computer Management, find the drive and click on Format in NTFS. Then I should try to run Acronis True Image again. This time it rebooted and went to a copy screen that took over an hour to finish. This time it said it was completed and started Windows again. Now I can see the drive in Windows Explorer. No wonder people can't do things on computers. They hide all of the good stuff...

The MBR error is still coming up, but it most likely is the PCI Network card that failed immediately after I installed the new hard drive. And no, I was nowhere near it. I checked the card seating and it is OK, but it forced me to get a NetGear USB device to get on the Internet to find help.

So here is how this computer is doing so far this year:

1) Replace power supply on a whim that it might be worth saving. It works, but then the hard drives start acting up...

2) I purchase a hard drive because another Acronis backup program keeps warning me that BOTH existing hard drives are bad.

3) Once the drive is installed, the Network fails at startup. I click on the menu icon to repair it and the icon completely disappears. It isn't listed in the Network anymore either.

4) I fix the Network with a new device, with Windows constantly begging to use the Internet to find the driver. Hey fella, I don't have the Internet yet, that's why I am trying to install this software. (I actually had to let Windows install the NetGear driver on another machine because the CD software kept losing the connection. So far I have only had to tell it the WEP security code twice on this one.)

So now I have a clone drive, so what are the odds that it will work like the old one?

PS: The Acronis backup software now says that both of the hard drives are just fine! Now it wants me to back up the old one on the new one. Hey fella, I just did! I thought the old one was shot???

PPS: You cannot install the Acronis software without a WD hard drive installed. What does that tell me about Western Digital?
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
smokingwheels

Post by smokingwheels »

If you hard disk is starting to wearout you will see disk error messages in the system log eg A timeout has occured....

I tried the imaging software you used once and it was not 100%
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

I did see some events and I left the computer running for weeks at a time, but now that same backup software says nothing about the old Windows drive, but back it up.

One error that was recurring was the printer's start up program. But that could just be something in that software. Now it is saying something is happening with DCOM, which has to do with the network card. That was having problems at startup at times for years. I often had to Repair the connection at startup. Another reason I seldom rebooted.

So far the drive seems to be working perfectly. We shall see. When you clone a drive, you get all of the bad things too.
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
iamdenteddisk
Veteran

Re: Cloning a hard drive the hard way

Post by iamdenteddisk »

"Trinity_tools.iso" trust me you will love this disk. it is 1 of 3 magic disc I use on a daily basis..

I think what you are dealing with is AV extortion, when you haven't paid enough "lately" out of your pension to an AV provider for updates or upgrades it is time to "urge" you into wanting more security or hire professional help.. "mcafee is the worst for extortion" <-L@@K

I would be willing to bet why your drive diagnostic is undecided is probably because AV is messing with the registry, scandsk can help find and repair the problem and a registry fixer would get the actual problem temporarily fixed but unless you find which security program is culprit it will continue.

"registry entries are logged" any access not having windows permission will be a violation to windows and cause rejection by the OS or even having paid registered software auto removed or quarantined by windows..

AVG is good IMO
malwarebytes good IMO
advanced system care good IMO, as it automates many things you can do but it reduces it to a one click fix. still this is IMO and that's that..

if you eliminate the above and still have an issue it's probably a physical problem like
1) bad lace cable.
2) broken pins on drive or board socket.
3) lowV or "un-tuned" power supply<- if your like me you got a-lot of usb junk connected. to much at once will draw off so much current the Voltage on the 5vsupply line drops, causing inconsistent data transmission appearing to be bad sectors... try disconnecting some junk and reboot without it trying the diagnostic again..
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

I'm pissed off at AVG too! Every time my XP starts up I get a AVG Firewall Warning from the AVG software I uninstalled long ago. I went to their site and they say that AVG doesn't have anything to do with the Firewall. Then WHY is it always telling me about it?

After a while it goes away, but it never apologizes or gets embarrassed .

Where you been Dented? You dropped out of site for a while. Lose your WIFI?
iamdenteddisk
Veteran

Post by iamdenteddisk »

clearance job man, sux..
burger2227
Veteran

AVG Firewall off warning

Post by burger2227 »

Tried to FIX for AVG Firewall off warning coming up every startup on my XP desktop PC!

Fix does not work so it was removed! The warning still comes up sometimes!
I used AVG several years ago and their forum and Help had no help! Said no firewall app existed...

UNINSTALL AVG Antivirus if it complains or the DLL's report in an error box! Newer version don't do it.

If you have removed AVG and it has caused any problems, like leaving running stuff behind,
use AVG Remover to get rid of the trash. However it will still leave the above DLL behind...
The Remover will appear on startup again and will eventually disappear taking itself off the PC.

Thankfully you do not have to remove the AVG Remover after it reboots the PC.
It may be mentioned in the Registry and can be removed by the free CCleaner.