How do I get qbasic to occupy the entire computer screen.

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

jimbo

How do I get qbasic to occupy the entire computer screen.

Post by jimbo »

I have recently migrated to a Windows XP laptop (my wife's old laptop) since my Windows Vista computer died. I was able to just copy the old harddrive onto the XP machine. I found my qbasic.exe file, as expected, in the appropriate folder and when I click on it, it opens and I loaded a program that I wrote, but did not run it because I dont want to risk screwing up some data. This is the question and it's so "basic", I'm embarrased: I used to be able to get the initial dialog box to appear full screen (it seems all I had to do was enter ALT-E or something like that) and the whole screen was occupied by the blue. I want to do this for obvious readability concerns. If I click maximize on the window, it barely changes size. Hopefully someone can help.

Jimbo
burger2227
Veteran

Re: How do I get qbasic to occupy the entire computer screen

Post by burger2227 »

Assuming you are running XP 32 bit, Qbasic graphic screens(1, 2, 7 thru 13) should go full screen all of the time. SCREEN 0 (or no screen mode at all) is a text only screen mode that will open as a window instead. Use Alt + Enter to go full screen.

To make a SCREEN 0 program go full screen from the start, use:

SCREEN 12
SCREEN 0

You can also use blinking colors 16 to 31 in full SCREEN 0 too.

Once a program using SCREEN 0 is full screen you have to use Alt + Enter to go back to the window size.

If you use QB64 the screen size is the literal text or graphic screen pixel size. _FULLSCREEN and _FULLSCREEN: _OFF can be used.
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
jimbo

Re: How do I get qbasic to occupy the entire computer screen

Post by jimbo »

Thanks so much, I've wondered about this for years, cause I knew I used to do it. Knew it was something like ALT-E. This will make the typing and reading much easier.

Jimbo