New QuickBasic Magazine: QB Express

Latest news from this site.

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

New QuickBasic Magazine: QB Express

Post by Pete »

<p><strong>New QuickBasic Magazine: QB Express</strong> -- Posted by <a href="mailto:pberg1@ithaca.edu">Pete</a> on August 23, 2004<br>
I am proud to announce that the first issue of my new QuickBasic magazine has been released! It is called <i>"QB Express"</i> and it has a wide selection of QB Community news, tutorials, editorials, articles and much more. Click <a href="http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/exp ... l">here</a> to read it!
<br>
<br>This issue has many interesting articles, including Relsoft's <i>Metaballs / "Blobs"</i> tutorial, interviews with both members of <i>Bad-Logic</i>, Blitz and V1ctor, lots of information on V1ctor's online DOS library, <i>DSock</i>. You'll also find a nifty tutorial on RPG plots by <i>Levi</i>, Comics by Matt2Jones, an article about the QB Caliber Programming Compo by Adigun A. Polack, and an article entitled <i>Does The World Need Another QB Forum?</i> by yours truly. There's a whole lot more, too -- it's definitely worth a read!
<br>
<br>I have always wanted to start a QB magazine, ever since I was originally updating my website in 1998-2000. Just a week and a half ago, I began gathering articles and content for this first issue. It turned out great--way better than I ever expected. This issue is absolutely massive, with 141KB of text and several hundred KB of images (dial-up users, beware!).
<br>
<br>After you're done reading this, be sure to <a href="http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/con ... contact</a> me and tell me what you thought. I am also looking for submissions for future issues, so if you're at all interested in writing something, make sure you let me know.</p>
nexinarus_lazy

Post by nexinarus_lazy »

Great read. Well done with the magazine Pete. I especially enjoyed the rants and interviews.

The layout design is great also. Found nothing to nitpick with the colors and everything. Although the code and images from Rel's code of the blobs was out of the borders a little bit over here on Moz Firefox.
{Nathan}
Veteran

WHOA

Post by {Nathan} »

nice... and i thought the qmunity was dead... lol :!: :?: :!: :?:
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

nexinarus_lazy wrote:The layout design is great also. Found nothing to nitpick with the colors and everything. Although the code and images from Rel's code of the blobs was out of the borders a little bit over here on Moz Firefox.
Hmmm.... I developed this magazine in Firefox (then checked it in IE, Avant Browser, Opera and Netscape) -- and it looks fine at 1280*1024 resolution and 1024*768.

I did notice a little bit of overlap in 800*600 resolution, though... and I'm sure people running 640*480 or something tiny like that will have a hell of a time reading it (luckily, they make up less than 1% of my site's visitors). I put the little ... linebreaks in so that this would be more low-res friendly, but apparently it was not enough. I think I should probably make a special low-res version where the magazine takes up 100% of the page's width instead of just 70%.

Actually, what I really would like for this magazine is some type of CSS / HTML code that does automatic text-wrapping and indenting in preformatted. I did a quick Google search for it yesterday when I was designing the layout, but I couldn't find anything that was cross-browser compatible. Oh well. I might be able to pull it off with PHP... I'll see if there's a freeware PHP script that will do this for the next issue.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments & feedback!
nexinarus_lazy

Post by nexinarus_lazy »

Dont worry too much about it though, the content was a great read :).