Its HERE! Yet ANOTHER SpaceMerc demo! ^_^

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Its HERE! Yet ANOTHER SpaceMerc demo! ^_^

Post by Mitth'raw'nuruodo »

Ok, well you now have powerups...comments please :D

SpaceMerc

What I did:
1. Made powerups:
----A. Health Powerup (At Rattra's suggestion [indirectly])
----B. Missle Ammo (More Missles... :twisted: )
----C. Level-Up (Your Ship gets stronger!)
----D. Nuclear-Blast! (Destroys all ships on screen! Muhahaha!)
"But...It was so beutifully done"
matt2jones
Veteran

Post by matt2jones »

nice, just downloaded, will play.

If you're interested I've got a fully playable less music minirpg up at http://www.geocities.com/matt2jones/darkc.zip QB1.1 source only, cause I'm lazy. Am porting to FB [very easily]...

shameless advertising...

matt
Do not mistake Apathy for feeling Content.

http://www.disjointed.cjb.net - Short Storys
http://matt2jones.deviantart.com - Random Art
http://www.freewebs.com/matt2jones - WebComic
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:) Nice,.. for a second there I thought right was going to work, but, as you said speed, I thinking your comp is to fast for you to see the problem or something..... it still flies left, and is a slug when it come to going back right... you got a calculation err, my good man, DEBUG the dang thing.. :wink:

No hard fellings, but, its a prob with code, my mouse is fine, its a new one 4 petes sake... I really question the fact that you said you couln't change or fix it, you should at least be able to check the algos.. :wink:
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Pete's sake? lol

I checked the code...its good....sorry....I can't do anymore unless I see the bad one... :roll: Its all as it should be, the right + left moves are the EXACT same, save for direction.....sorry :cry:

I made a sub for infinite axises and one for direction dectection change. They are the same....but don't worry I'll make a keyboard input option in my program.... :D

I'm going to make all the menus + crap porfessional looking w/mouse support....oh I can't wait till I get the core done!!! I'm going to have sooo much fun!!! :D
Qcumber not logged in

Post by Qcumber not logged in »

Looks pretty good, although fairly unoriginal. As Pete has said elsewhere, there are loads of shooters out there, and they all play the same. Just a couple of points:
1. The game runs far too fast on my P4. Perhaps make it run at the same speed in later versions?
2. Whats with the mouse control? I find it quite wierd. The concept is good, but I don't think your code works right - the ship seems to move of its own accord and the sensitivity is not the same on each side (ie. it's easier to move left than right).

Anyway, keep at it, get it finished soon :D
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Dude this isn't my lastest version. :wink:

But thanks anyways.

I fixed the mouse thing....faster you said!!!!! I thought I had a fast computer. Whats your Processing speed, ram, grapics card? :?

Linky:
New SpaceMerc
Xerol
Veteran

Post by Xerol »

In the new version, the ship just runs to the lower-left corner and gets stuck there. Also, after exiting, the mouse cursor's stuck as an I-Beam regardless of where it is - you might not be cleaning everything up.
If you need music composed in MP3, WAV, or MIDI format, please contact me via email.

Xerol's Music - Updated Regularly!
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

No it works. I made sure on my shitty computer AND my laptop....note: never play that on a laptop pad :lol:
Xerol
Veteran

Post by Xerol »

Well, it's not really working here. Also, it seems like all of the mouse movements/clicks go through to the desktop behind it as well, when I came out of the game half of my icons were moved around and I had opened up several IM windows from Trillian. Not sure if this is a problem on this side or not, I'm using XP Home(unfortunately that's what the laptop came with) and I've got a mouse plugged into the USB port.
If you need music composed in MP3, WAV, or MIDI format, please contact me via email.

qcumber

Post by qcumber »

I've got a 3.2GHz P4 with 512mb RAM, running Windows XP Pro. Gfx card is a ati Radeon 9000 with 128mb VRAM. Don't know if it's just flicker or what, but it seems to run faster than i expected (maybe its just me).
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

:shock: Radeon 9000?!!! Thats like not even exsistant!! Do you mean 900? Cause 9000 is VERY VERY VERY fast if it was out there. Ya its your gfx card, even if its a 900 thats making it go fast.

You see I tryied to slow it down with the timer statment so it only runs on set frames but it goes too slow. :cry:

Xerol:
Its then definitly your side, prob. somthing different with your mouse cause DOS shouldn't be affecting the desktop.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

I have a 128MB ATI Radeon 9800 All-In-Wonder card.

It's friggin sweet.
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

:shock: Ya thats huge!@
very, very nice Pete :wink:
Kyle
Veteran

Post by Kyle »

(I am qcumber) Uh, no, its an ATi Radeon 9000AP. 9000 isn't the speed of the GPU, and the GPU doesn't process your program so it wouldn't make it go faster. It's not hard to make it run the same speed on all computers:

Code: Select all

DEF SEG = 0
    POKE (1132), 0
    CountDown:
    IF PEEK(1132) < time% THEN GOTO CountDown
    DEF SEG
Where 1 time% is 1/19 of a second. (From the AcidWorks website)

PS: Pete, install GeSHi on these forums!
Xerol
Veteran

Post by Xerol »

The problem with that is that it forces the program to run at 19 fps, except in the case that it's running slower, in which case it'll run at some lesser multiple of 19 fps(9.5 or 6.333 or something like that). What needs to be done is time-based motion, where you use a millisecond timer, and then each frame move everything based on how much time has elapsed since the last frame. So you have to make up movement rates for everything - 200 px/sec, for example. Then for every 5ms you'd move it 1 pixel, so if it took 15ms between frames(on a fast machine) you'd move it 3 pixels, but on a slow machine that might take 35ms per frame you'd move it 35 pixels.

Kyle
Veteran

Post by Kyle »

If you change TIME% then the delay will change. A big enough delay will make the program run at the same speed on all computers. If you want it to go faster/slower, adjust TIME%.

Edit: sorry, didn't read your post properly xerol. But Mitth, if you need a millisecond timer, port it to fB :D And its not 19fps, its 1/19 of a second.
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

That's what I'm doing.

Anyone now how to bload bmps in fb?
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:shock: Um, like:

BLOAD "filename.bmp"
DIM filename(###)
GET (x, y)-(x1, y1), filename

'Replace ### with numbers acording to size of pic..

There other ways also, check the Gfxlib.txt in the FB docs folder.. :wink:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
PhrogPhace

Post by PhrogPhace »

5:29 PM 4/16/2005
hi pete (exellent site you have here) and all the rest who haunt here, i'm new to this board...
just to introduce myself:
if you want you can call me frog...
my goal is to get involved in the emerging FreeBASIC scene and write some games and electronic simulation software....

rattrapmax: i learned how to bload bmp's by reading the source code from the DemoGamePack you released and i wanted to point out something i really liked in your code..

if the bmp was 320 x 200 (which is basically screen 13 size) following your format i would

dim WhatEverTheArrayName(320 * 200)
so it was real easy to keep up with the bmp dimensions while coding.

later,
frog
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

@ Frog: ^_^ Glad you liked it! :lol: You know, you can just call me Rattra,. for some odd reason other ppl like caling me that.. :wink: :roll:

Another way is: If I'm correct...

DIM picarray(300 * 200 / 2 + 1)
Which is better, I think,. and FB has other opptions on BLOADing too, so check the "gfxlib.txt" in the doc folder in Von's IDE for the one you want, :wink:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)