Memory problem

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Seb McClouth

Memory problem

Post by Seb McClouth »

hi all

When I had the basic setup for qbinux quite ready, I implented some Novix routines (only one to load/show bmp-files and draw a box and a filledbox). For the log-file I used freefile. After the first bmp has been loaded, QB won't load and show the other bmp files. QB crashed sometimes. After the advice of compiling it and run it as an exe-file, gave as a result that after loading the first bmp, DOS crashed.

I've tried building a library containing the novix-commands, QB gave multiple errors and didn't even compile it.

I've tried dividing the program in a bas-file containing the qbinux-code and a bas file containing the novix code. Both with their own bi-files. I first loaded the bas-file with the qbinux-code and merged the novix code. It wouldn't run nor compile.

I'm using QB 4.5 on MS-DOS 6.2. Some stated it might be QB 4.5 and a stacked up memory. During testing I just have the boot-log and load/show bmp files, where the whole thing went wrong.

Any options to make it work somehow?

grtz
Seb
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

You're most likely overwriting memory somewhere..

Also, all Novix routines are still made for QB7.1 only, they wont work under QB4.5, infact, they will most likely cause a crash :P

Also note, that some Novix routines require the Novix.[lib | qlb] files to run
So you need to compile using that

For people to help you need to give the source, so they can actually see whats wrong..

Otherwise all you get is guesses..
I have left this dump.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Yes, but the strangest thing is that I could run the InitializeCore, loading bootup.bmp, and the other bmps, before without a problem.

But I'll try your way.

grtz
Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

I also get this error message: COMMON and DECLARE must procede executable statements. The most funiest thing is that they do...

grtz
Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Solved the last thing. But is certainly was really weird.

grtz
Seb
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Did a rewrite... seems to work this time. Even after compile... fase 2...

Thumbs up!!

Grtz
Seb