Guest News Posts Now Subject to Approval

Latest news from this site.

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

Guest News Posts Now Subject to Approval

Post by Pete »

Hey everyone-- as you may have noticed, the number of spam posts on this site has increased about tenfold in the past two days, and I'm getting sick of it.

I have made it so that any submissions in any section of this site are now subject to my approval. Regrettably, this will slow down the submission process, since you'll have to wait for me to review your post before it's approved. I'm just hoping that it will alleviate the spam.

Because of the way the CMS script works, QB News posts will still automatically make a forum post when they are submitted, but they won't show up on the main page. So there will still be spam on the forums... but we don't have to worry about the front page of the site getting defaced.

If I can find a better solution to this, I will (such as preventing any post including the words "poker" "$$$" "$$$" "phenteremone" or whatever that $$$ is called, etc.)
RayBritton
Veteran

Post by RayBritton »

thats great news
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

RayBritton wrote:thats great news
It's really not... It means more work for me, and also that legitimate posts will have to wait for hours before they show up on the site. Plus the spam posts still end up on the forums.

I'd rather just not have spammers in the first place.
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

thanks pete sorry someone found a hole to bore
into the site...spammers know no shame...
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

DANM SPAM!!!! That sucks, sorry Pete. There's gotta be another way around it... Cant you just delete all the spam posts in the forums?
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

And don't forget buy... diomond ring!!!!!oneoneone!!!1111chift-one!!!!!!shift1
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Plz remove the above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :lol:
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

Maybe you should make a spamming board for all of those annoying shitheads to use :P And If I got bored someday, I could see what kind of internet poker and diamond rings there are :wink: (Maybe QB News should just be erased... :cry: )
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Mods? Like QBN does when you submit news on there News Bot... Or since the news are coming to the form only, Mods to delete the slipping spam?

Allowing mods wouldn't take away the free-speach as long as the mods are respectful to your forum rules,.. and it would take alot of the stress off you when it come to cleaning up the spam....

Just a thought, an army is better than 1 man alone...
Last edited by Rattrapmax6 on Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

The spamming is done by bots, so I doubt they would agree to post in a marked "Spam Forum". :)
Veteran

Rattrapmax6 wrote:Just a thought, a army is better than 1 man alone...
Amen. I would gladly help, but I'm not sure how Pete would feel. Waiting for your response, Pete :wink:

BTW. Rattrap, it's AN ARMY, not A ARMY :P
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

It's not just me alone.

Both Z!re and sid6.7 have Coranto accounts to delete spam posts.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

PQBC wrote:BTW. Rattrap, it's AN ARMY, not A ARMY
:twisted: Darn, dail-up is too slow,.. I fixed that right after I posted... :lol: ..
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Dail up?

;)
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Veteran

Rattrapmax6 wrote: :twisted: Darn, dail-up is too slow,.. I fixed that right after I posted... :lol: ..
Amen, again. Dial-up is like trying to get a piggyback ride on a turtle rather than a cheetah :lol:
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Pete wrote:The spamming is done by bots, so I doubt they would agree to post in a marked "Spam Forum". :)
That true. Erm... how about your own bot... detecting spam and so and then remove it...

Coranto accounts? Where can we get those?

grtz
Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

Pete wrote:It's not just me alone.

Both Z!re and sid6.7 have Coranto accounts to delete spam posts.
yep me and z!re are backing up da'man! we're on it...

got about 6 spams the last few hours...

we'll help PETE save the day! rah!
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

SebMcClouth wrote:Coranto accounts? Where can we get those?
If I know what he means, the same way you do on these phpBB2 boards,.. but, just like the boards, you only be allowed to post comments in the download section,.. Pete would have to make a Mod, or what ever they are called in Coranto's system....

As being, if you goto downloads, and hit comment,.. you have to sign in,.. to what I'm taking one of these accounts.. :wink:

@Pete: Oops,.. I forgot about sid6.7... wasn't to long ago he was asking bout BA-SIC MU-SIC,.. and if he could delete the first one... :lol: ... And I think I now remember something about Z!re,.. oh well

:roll:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Pete...I don't know how many times I've suggested that you enforce membership to make posts here... :( I guess you're never gonna listen to me on the subject though so I'll just stop suggesting it. :(
Xerol
Veteran

Post by Xerol »

Wouldn't it make sense to not have the front page "Latest Topics" box include the posts from the News forum, since it's pretty much redundant with the news stuff being at the top of the page?
If you need music composed in MP3, WAV, or MIDI format, please contact me via email.

Xerol's Music - Updated Regularly!