Join the Linux Revolution!

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Nathan1993: Norton Partition Magic.
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

The Walrus wrote:http://www.linuxiso.org/ also has a lot of distro's, I got my Red Hat Linux and Suse Linux from there.
Good site but they tend to be a bit behind the times...I use them as a links site to the actual sites for the various distros.

(for example...I was there three days ago to obtain a FreeBSD distro, and they said that the 5.x family was still Tech Release...5.x is now Stable and it's 7.x that's Tech...way behind the times...)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I HAVE JOINED!!!

Ahem... right now I am running Feather Linux from a live cd on a family computer... I am backing up the files on my laptop to partition, but I still need a boot manager... anyone have any recommendations? It needs to be free and it does not need to be feature-full... it just needs to work. Linux really is a lot better than I thought it would be...

EDIT: Back in windows... feels... bad and expensive. I am currently re-partitioning my hard drive with Partition Magic... waiting for it to be done, then I get to mess with ndis wrapper and some other crap and then I will have... LINUX! YAY!

And your topic worked... it has made me join.
Last edited by {Nathan} on Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrV
Veteran

Post by DrV »

Either lilo or grub will work just fine - I'm personally partial to lilo, having used it first, but grub is probably more powerful.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Grub is good. But make sure you have additional info on it and a grub boot-disk, just incase..

grtz
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

HAHA! yes, this is pure linux on my hd speaking... anyway, its going good, kinda... i can't get my wireless drivers to work. it says that its loaded, but the drivers might be wronge, but im just saying... i have 2 more days off of school (teachers work day) to play around with it. right now im connected through a standard network cable... but anyway, linux rules. it looks like windows on 10 grand more expensive. its a lot easyer to use, too... really, it took about 2 minutes to set up this network card in linux, took me 20 in windows.
Michael Calkins
Veteran

Post by Michael Calkins »

Anyone heard of FreeSCO? It is a Linux distro that fits on a floppy, and doesn't require a hard disk. It comes with a bunch of server stuff, and I think it can access FAT partitions. But I didn't really know what to do with it... It seemed kinda neat, but it was so small that it didn't really seem to have anything useful, other than the server software... The computer I tried it on is an IBM 486 with VGA, 8 MB RAM and no hard drive. I have no spare computers with hard drives to attempt a bigger distro. What I use otherwise on that IBM is MS-DOS Mode off of a floppy.
FreeSCO was mentioned to me and others by a programmer on The QBASIC Forum, who goes by Ild?rest, among other names.

I might add that I have no desire to use Linux as a desktop OS. I am well satisfied with MS-DOS and Win 9x. My interest in Linux would be primarily for server stuff, although I have no LAN. I want to gain expirience, expecially since I want to become a computer repair tech.
Regards,
Michael
Bring on the Maulotaurs! oops...
I like to slay Disciples of D'Sparil...
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I use Unix only for server applications...FreeBSD right now, because most distros of Linux are kinda crappy. :D
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

fork you.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

PQBC wrote:fork you.
that wasnt nice... some people just like windows... like my damned brother.

anyway, I didn't think it would be this hard... ive tryed knoppix, austrumi (sometin like dat0, and feather, but non have worked. downloading debian right now, it was recommended to me.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

PQBC wrote:fork you.
Sit and rotate, you smelly penguin. Don't make me pluck our your feathers and set a Guiness record for "largest piece of artwork featuring penguin entrails".
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Ive seen that pic in your sig before.... somewhere...
masaca

Post by masaca »

i agree with linux is much more secure than windows but when it was running on my pc, booting was slow, 5 minutes to boot compared to windows xp which is quite fast at booting for me. and when i ran an app in linux it was quite slowish at loading up. What i'm trying to say is linux isn't good at everythink neither is windows, everyone has their opinion. in my opinion i would say a complete distro of linux is like bloatware but thats my opinion and used much more memory than windows xp does, and windows is virus/spyware heaven. but thats my opinion. (btw i'm not just talking about one distro of linux i'm talking about few of them i tried)

....Waiting to be flamed 8)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

masaca wrote:i agree with linux is much more secure than windows but when it was running on my pc, booting was slow, 5 minutes to boot compared to windows xp which is quite fast at booting for me. and when i ran an app in linux it was quite slowish at loading up. What i'm trying to say is linux isn't good at everythink neither is windows, everyone has their opinion. in my opinion i would say a complete distro of linux is like bloatware but thats my opinion and used much more memory than windows xp does, and windows is virus/spyware heaven. but thats my opinion. (btw i'm not just talking about one distro of linux i'm talking about few of them i tried)

....Waiting to be flamed 8)
Im not gonna flame you. I am trying linux... but it is becoming a real hassle. It took me (so far) 3 days just to get linux on my system. I had to try it... download it, find the right distro... then I found out I had an old version. It really is a hassle... still trying to get resolution more than 800*600... AND I need to get my WLAN working... I havn't even started on that.
PQBC at school

Post by PQBC at school »

Nathan1993 wrote:Ive seen that pic in your sig before.... somewhere...
me or nekro?

because mine is TUX, the linux penguin.

Oh, and nek, I stick by my words. Linux rules and there is nothing you can say about it.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

PQBC at school wrote:Linux rules and there is nothing you can say about it.
Show me a linux capable of running Age of Empires 2, Max Payne 2 or Homeworld 2..
Stop being a zealot brainded retard..
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Z!re wrote:
PQBC at school wrote:Linux rules and there is nothing you can say about it.
Show me a linux capable of running Age of Empires 2, Max Payne 2 or Homeworld 2..
Stop being a zealot brainded retard..
A modern Linux computer with WINE installed.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Due to the fact that WINE isn't completly stable... actually it makes your Linux quite unstable due to the Windows libraries (Microsoft really knows how to unstable things, huh?)... Be safe and always keep windows at hand... for e.g. a bootcd or dual boot system.

grtz
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Linux running WINE so i can run my windows programs is stupid.

I can free valuable system resources by just using windows
I have left this dump.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

PQBC at school wrote:Oh, and nek, I stick by my words. Linux rules and there is nothing you can say about it.
There is plenty I can say about it, penguin-sodomizer...

linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux linsux

How's that? :roll:

I'm with Z!re on this one...stop being a zealous braindead retard.