Country, state, city...

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Country, state, city...

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

Where do we all live?

Me, Nashville, Tennessee. Just moved from New York.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I live in US, Ohio, Galena... but its soooo puny no one has ever heard of it, so lets just say I live in Columbus OH... I am pretty close...
Veteran

Nathan1993 wrote:but its soooo puny no one has ever heard of it...
Ever hear of Waverly, New York? Yeah, I thought so! :wink:
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

PQBC wrote:Ever hear of Waverly, New York? Yeah, I thought so! :wink:
Yes! Waverly is very close to where I live.

I grew up in Owego, live in Candor and go to college in Ithaca.

I had no idea that you were so close.
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

lol Oneonta NY here...every heard of that? I'm just a few hours away I think from Ithaca....
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

The middle of nowhere.... :lol:

I'm below all yall, in this here state named Virginia.... :P .... In a town with 1 lil bitty store and a Post office the size of a postage stamp.... hince "Middle of nowhere"....

ROFLOL
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

MystikShadows wrote:lol Oneonta NY here...every heard of that? I'm just a few hours away I think from Ithaca....
Yeah, of course I've heard of Oneonta. You're also very close to me, though nowhere near as close as PQBC... Waverly is like a 15 or 20 minute drive from my hometown.

It's weird, because I truly live in the middle of nowhere (my hometown is so small it doesn't even have a single stoplight). Waverly isn't much bigger.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Oh yeah? Two cars can hardly get on our roads at once.... One has to go in the ditch b4 the other can pass.... :P .... Some of the others are doing better.... And they managed to fit 3-4 chuches in here....

:lol: PS: No stoplights here either... ^_^
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

A town "in the middle of nowhere."
It's sometimes referred to as "a wide spot in the road."

Having been born and raised in New York City, I've seen most of the towns in upstate NY that you guys mentioned. It's really pretty up there.

I spent a lot of time way out in Suffolk County Long Island. Way out there, especially on the North Fork, there are lots of little towns with only a general store with a small counter for the Post Office.

I went west, and lived in Arizona and California for about 14 years. Now I live in the country of Mexico, in Mexico City.
If you are ahead of me, lead.
If you are behind me, follow.
If you are not doing anything,
Get out of the way.
Michael Calkins
Veteran

Post by Michael Calkins »

I have always lived in Wilson County, Texas. It is just south east of San Antonio. Floresville, my hometown, the largest city in Wilson County, has a population of about 5800. It has 3 traffic lights. Poth, the city currently closest to me, has a pop of about 1800 and 1 traffic light. I live in a rural ranching/farming area. We lease some of our land out for peanut farming. Please eat more peanut butter! :-)
This is the County's weekly newspaper:
http://www.wilsoncountynews.com/
Regards,
Michael
Bring on the Maulotaurs! oops...
I like to slay Disciples of D'Sparil...
Veteran

Pete wrote:Waverly isn't much bigger.
Got that right. I think Waverly only has one stoplight. I didn't know you were so close either, Pete.
Micheal Calkins wrote: Please eat more peanut butter!
Got you covered! :P
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

you guys need to get someones laptop and all meet at a hotel with the little penguin caffine mints and have a qbexpress marathon!!!
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Michael Calkins wrote:I have always lived in Wilson County, Texas. It is just south east of San Antonio. Floresville, my hometown, the largest city in Wilson County, has a population of about 5800. It has 3 traffic lights. Poth, the city currently closest to me, has a pop of about 1800 and 1 traffic light. I live in a rural ranching/farming area. We lease some of our land out for peanut farming. Please eat more peanut butter!....
Regards, Michael
Floresville is on route 181. Not too far from you is route 35 south from San Antonio.

Let me tell you this story. Two years ago, my cousin and I were on 35 headed for Laredo. About half-way there we got hungry so we got off at the next exit. We came to this little town with one gas-station and something like a Tasty-Freeze which also served hotdogs and burgers.

This place had the weirdest ATM that I have ever seen. It looked like a metal box with a receipt printer on top and a credit card reader. The way it worked was:
1) It read your credit card.
2) It printed out a ticket for $50.00 (no other option, no keypad).
3) You went to the counter, ordered something, presented the ticket, and you got change of $50.
4) If you didn't order anything, you could not use the ticket.

I've never seen an ATM as simple as this before. Brilliant! Had to go to a little Texas town "in the middle of nowhere" to see it. I wonder how the debit and credit transactions work --- but who cares, it works.

Michael, do they have any of these ATM's in Floresville?
Get out of the way.
Veteran

If it doesn't have a keypad, couldn't somone pick up your card, stick it in the machine, and get cash? How could it prompt you for a PIN number? Mabye I should try it... Moneo, where did you say that ATM was :P :wink:
urger
Coder

Post by urger »

New York City, New York
Capital of the World
Big Apple
Land of Misfit Cab Drivers
Etc. etc. etc.
(But I've been to all the NY State town mentioned above and I spend an inordinate amount of time in Albany)
Share and Enjoy.
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

PQBC wrote:If it doesn't have a keypad, couldn't somone pick up your card, stick it in the machine, and get cash? How could it prompt you for a PIN number? Mabye I should try it... Moneo, where did you say that ATM was :P :wink:
You're right, there must have been a keypad for your PIN number. I didn't actually use this ATM, I saw another customer use it.

BTW, "picking up your card" is always a problem, especially if the thief was siting near the ATM and watched you key in your PIN.

In 1974-1975 at Citibank New York, I designed and implemented the first online, realtime, 24 hour ATM's. We considered many potential thefts. A classic scenario, when ATM's were hung on the outside wall of a bank, was the "little old lady" who went up to the ATM to get cash. A thief was across the street with binoculars, taking down her PIN number. He then followed her and stole her handbag. He now had her card and PIN. Sometimes it was simpler, the lady forgot to retrieve her card from the ATM.
Get out of the way.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

moneo wrote:In 1974-1975 at Citibank New York, I designed and implemented the first online, realtime, 24 hour ATM's. We considered many potential thefts. A classic scenario, when ATM's were hung on the outside wall of a bank, was the "little old lady" who went up to the ATM to get cash. A thief was across the street with binoculars, taking down her PIN number. He then followed her and stole her handbag. He now had her card and PIN. Sometimes it was simpler, the lady forgot to retrieve her card from the ATM.
Hmm... in Nebraska, back in the 1980s, my dad wrote a ATM program, and we went back there a few years ago and a lot of ATMs there still use that same program he made...
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Camuy, Puerto Rico. I live about 50 feet from the shoreline which is just north of our house, we're about 20 feet above sea level here. I can see the Atlantic from the porch. :)
Michael Calkins
Veteran

Post by Michael Calkins »

Floresville is on route 181. Not too far from you is route 35 south from San Antonio.
Yes, I am familiar with IH 35 (Larado to San Antonio, to New Braunfels, to Austin and beyond). Yes, I live about 5 miles from US 181. 181 branches off from IH 37. Both 37 and 181 go from Corpus Christi to San Antonio. 37 goes through Pleasanton (spelling?). 181 goes through Floresville, Poth, Karnes City, Beeville, Sinton, etc. Old Corpus Christi Highway also goes near Floresville. I've never actually been to Larado. But I have been as far south as McAllen and South Padre Island.
Michael, do they have any of these ATM's in Floresville?
Not that I know of. Floresville is a relatively modern small city nowadays. Floresville has 2 Wells Fargo branches, and another bank. Poth has 1 Wells Fargo branch, and another bank.
Regards,
Michael
P.S. It's nice to talk to someone who has been that close to here. :-)
Bring on the Maulotaurs! oops...
I like to slay Disciples of D'Sparil...
matt2jones
Veteran

Post by matt2jones »

Moycullen, Galway, Ireland.

I thought I lived in the fork-off center of nowhere, but my college has more student's then some of your towns!

There is one set of traffic lights in my village, to help pedestrians cross the village road. That's right, THE road. We only have one.

matt
Do not mistake Apathy for feeling Content.

http://www.disjointed.cjb.net - Short Storys
http://matt2jones.deviantart.com - Random Art
http://www.freewebs.com/matt2jones - WebComic