A 2d Game

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Yo_Momma
Coder

Post by Yo_Momma »

I TOLD YOU, i don't have q-basic on this pc
what more do you want?

heres the scoop, i had a pc with q basic on it, it was a windows 98, then i got a new one, this one is xp, and in the time that i last programed on q-basic to now, i lost the q basic disk
C:/DOS
C:/DOS/RUN
RUN/DOS/RUN
Yo_Momma
Coder

Post by Yo_Momma »

also, nek, if you think about it, when you get stronger, you get a little less flexibility, which is where qb comes in, if you want the nick-picky stuff, go for q. They both have strong/weak points, so how about we all be fair and load both. once we've all become expert programmers in each, then we should have an all out brawl on which is better.

dun deal
RUN/DOS/RUN
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Yo_momma, I suggest you calm down, and stop acting like a jerk.

http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/network/qbdl/

I suggest you pick QB 4.5 or PDS 7.1
http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/network/qbdl/qb45.zip
http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/network/qbdl/BC7.zip

If you want the complete install disks, you can find them on the site too.

Got any more excuses? Maybe your internet connection is down? Oh, your dog ate your HD? QB doesent work? But it's superior! Surely QB must work flawlessly in Windows XP?
I have left this dump.
The Awakened
Veteran

Re: okeys, maybe i was a little harsh

Post by The Awakened »

Yo_Momma wrote:but still, in my superior opinion, q basic is better. there are reasons why everyone likes what they like, most often because they've been programming with it for a lot longer (thus it's more of an "aww, i can't give it up" kinda thing). so, in any case, both of us are right and wrong. it's just a matter of personal opinion, so how about we all stfu about which is better and put this forum back to what it's supposed to be about, 2d games.

dun deal
What in the fork?! "My superior opinion"... how is your opinion superior to anyone on this forum?

FB has about 90% of the syntax of QB... you're making it sound like it's somehow so much different.

"Put this forum back to 2D games..." this is a forum dedicated to programming in Basic, nowhere does it say "QB Games Forum".

And if you're a new programmer, you can't slam people who've had YEARS more experience than you and then duck out because you can't find your archive of previously coded programs.

Funny how you say "people who've been coding in it for a long time don't wanna give it up", yet you said it yourself, "I'm not that good." I myself have never coded anything large enough to have to deal with memory issues (nothing a good CLEAR,,5000 couldn't fix) but guess what? I'm going to be rewriting my engine for the second time, this time in FB. I sugest you read the article in this month's QB Express about all the problems QB has, and then come back with a more educated opinion about things.

What can I say...
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Yo_Momma
Coder

Post by Yo_Momma »

alright, if i have qb, then theres nothing to complain about
thanks
and i'm not trying to be a jerk
as the most helpful people on this site are saying, THEY'RE BOTH EQUALLY DIFFERENT AND EQUALLY GOOD.
how about we just end this right here and now by saying that we all love each other and that there really shouldn't be any more fighting over which is better

peace out dudes :)
RUN/DOS/RUN
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

QB is not flexible at all today, unless you're using a computer from the 80s or 90s...QB has no place on an XP-based system except for the simplest of console apps or some games...getting sound to work in a QB game is harder than ever, even with VDMsound...memory problems abound left and right...using EMS is horribly difficult to do now...XMS is limited to 2.0 (3.0 isn't supported)...the list of roadblocks with using QB far outweigh the "convenience factor" of using it. FB was designed for the systems of *today* and that's one of the *many* reasons why it is very superior to the old QB. QB may be better for *you*, but in terms of absolute power and *flexibility as a whole*, FB is a far superior product and you have to be an absolute zealot to think otherwise...
Yo_Momma
Coder

Post by Yo_Momma »

alright, just so everyone knows, this is my last post, because i really don't want to kill or be killed by anyone else on this server whose been programming for a day or 20 years. at this point, i think that we should really just hold hands and sing (maybe i could program a picture of that...hehehe) so cyanara

peace out :)
RUN/DOS/RUN
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

Z!re wrote:Surely QB must work flawlessly in Windows XP?
For DOS emulation, XP is shit. 2000 is no exception either. If you want to have good DOS emulation while running Windows, stick to 98SE/ME.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

We arent fighting. You are.

FB is superior to QB.. end of story, if you want examples, read my post a page back or so.

Maybe you think it's better, well.. good for you, noone cares. Just like noone cares about how you dont dare try FB, nor what you think about something that you obviously never tried.

Now, as you have QB, pretty much any version of BASIC you want actually..

Would you mind producing the code for the challenge I stated? Or is it too hard for you?
I have left this dump.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

PQBC wrote:
For DOS emulation, XP is shit. 2000 is no exception either. If you want to have good DOS emulation while running Windows, stick to 98SE/ME.
I was being sarcastic you know.. :P
I have left this dump.
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

Who says that I get a shotgun and blow Yo_Momma's brains out?

Or, who votes that I put Backdoor.Netdevil
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av ... devil.html
on his computer and run a

Code: Select all

DEL *.*
on his harddrive?

A show of hands, now :P
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

PQBC wrote:
Haha... yeah, I once read that in XP and 2000 they improved the DOS emulation because in ME and below it sucked.

THEY LIE!
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

Why? I dont get it! I leave for 2 seconds and I become a piece of the conversation! Lets say that "qB Iz gUD eND PhREEbasiK EZ GUD 2". As for 2D games, I heard that game-boy's use the same processor thats in a TI-84 Plus SE. Ain't that kinda cool? I mean, nobody actually does any graphing on those things. Teachers think that if a kid has his graphing calculator out that he MUST be doing some sort of math thingamajiger. When really all the kid is doing is playin' snood or something similar. What is this world coming to? Go figure.
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Zamaster wrote:As for 2D games, I heard that game-boy's use the same processor thats in a TI-84 Plus SE.
Not exactly. The TI-84 Plus SE uses a 15 MHz ZiLOG Z80, the Gameboy uses a modified Z80 clone at 4.19MHz but it's got some differences, such as no I/O ports and the absence of index registers. The two machines use the Z80 family but they're not identical. :D
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

Let me get this straight, the TI-84 Plus SE has a FASTER processor than a game boy?
RUN\DOS\RUN
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Zamaster wrote:Let me get this straight, the TI-84 Plus SE has a FASTER processor than a game boy?
It's not only faster, it's more powerful.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Nekrophidius wrote:
Zamaster wrote:Let me get this straight, the TI-84 Plus SE has a FASTER processor than a game boy?
It's not only faster, it's more powerful.
Awsome... I am gonna get one soon (this year if my stuff stops breaking, otherwise this year since I can program on it).
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:shock: How did I miss all this? nm....

Heh.... I can't stand Game Boys that much,. that lack of a back lit dysplay hurts the eyes... GBA and NDS are nice tho, I'd get a PSP with GT4 if I was in that market.... 8)

Oh btw: FB is FB, QB is QB.... Which ever you use is your choice, not ones better than the other.... Ones ment for one thing, and the other the another, and neither one rocks more than the other since their playing field is different.... And niether one slacks in use of knowledge.. OpenGL is cleaner, but like others said,. if you don't know how 3D works,. your just as screwed with it too....

I have a nice FB site, with QB things on it too: http://members.aol.com/rattrapmax6/

:roll:
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Rattrapmax6 wrote:GBA and NDS are nice tho
I got a nintendo DS the day it came out. one try, meijers. other freinds of mine went to game stop, eb games, and every other video game store out there and found nothing.
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

Thats amazing, ever since I got one Ive been trying to make (96x64, greyscale) games on it. Its really hard! Every site that has a tutorial on it tells you something else.
RUN\DOS\RUN