3D engine for QBasic??

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Brick Wall

3D engine for QBasic??

Post by Brick Wall »

I was wondering if a simple 3D engine exist for QBasic or better yet FreeBasic(drawing wise).

No I'm not asking for Direct3D, OpenGL, or even Texturing render.. What I am simply asking for is a simple 3D engine that draws something like the SuperFX effects from your common super-nintendo theme.

Mainly because, with OpenGL on freebasic, it's a pain in the ass to simply just add a lot of code to just to get text in the display screen unlike in common graphics mode, simply just simply get a bunch of 3D related calculations and pretty mich use print and line for the 2D interface.

Sounds a lot simpler than GL.

I am no math expert that just wanna get my dream game come true.
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Check out rel.betterwebber.com for some cool stuff, including tutorials and programs for QB and FB 3D engines. Look around the forums here for Nek's Two Lords 3D game engine. Also check out Lithium's Raycasting engine. You can find the link to it in this month's QB Express.

Good Luck!

-The Awakened
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

The difference between doing things in 2D and doing things in 3D is staggering. By simply adding the third dimension, you add all kinds of new maths. It's just the way it is. :D
Brick Wall

Post by Brick Wall »

Any chance these can work in FreeBasic?
Brick Wall

Post by Brick Wall »

p.s.

Lithium's Raycasting engines gotta have some polies in it besides having it look like a wolfenstien gameplay style of an engine.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Lithium's raycaster is just that...a raycaster. If you want a "true" 3D engine, learn opengl. :P
Brick Wall

Post by Brick Wall »

OpenGL sux.....

It's too much of a hassle trying to get 2D lines or text displayed on a screen.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Brick Wall wrote:OpenGL sux.....

OpenGL doesn't suck...programmers who don't want to spend the time learning it suck. :D
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Nekrophidius wrote:

OpenGL doesn't suck...programmers who don't want to spend the time learning it suck. :D
I suck! :D
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Z!re wrote:
Nekrophidius wrote:

That makes 2 of us!
Brick Wall

Post by Brick Wall »

Well the reason why I was asking for a non-gl related 3D engine because I would like to play around with the retro style graphics(like starfox, stunt racer FX or something like that) though soon I may have myself a non-GL related 3D engine in the distant future.
Xerol
Veteran

Post by Xerol »

Nathan1993 wrote:
Z!re wrote:
Nekrophidius wrote: OpenGL doesn't suck...programmers who don't want to spend the time learning it suck. :D
That makes 2 of us!
It's really not THAT hard - once you get a basic setup to do drawing, you can just copy & paste that code into any new project you want to do, and modify it if you want to do something slightly different.
If you need music composed in MP3, WAV, or MIDI format, please contact me via email.

Xerol's Music - Updated Regularly!
PQBC at school

Post by PQBC at school »

Xerol wrote:
Nathan1993 wrote:
Z!re wrote:I suck! :D
That makes 2 of us!
And a third!

Post by Guest »

Okay, so Brick Wall, you seem to still be looking for how to do a 3D engine. Check out these tutorials:

http://rel.betterwebber.com/index.php?a ... =Tutorials

That's the first 4 tutorials of Rel's series. The last one is here:

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/exp ... ex.html#3d

You can do all of this stuff in FreeBasic.

Check out the Xeno engine, it's in the downloads section of Pete's site. It uses DirectQB, so you can't really recompile it with FB "as it is". But it's good to look at.

Are you planning on coding your own, or using someone else's engine?
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

*sigh* Once again, that's me in the above post.

Man, I used to be able to sit here for hours and stay logged in.
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."