Columns in QB - Release

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

MikeHawk
Veteran

Columns in QB - Release

Post by MikeHawk »

It's a clone of Sega's 1990 Columns in QuickBASIC. It has both the "original" and "flash" game modes, and supports joystick. It also features all the blocks from the Game Gear version. It's been tested under DOSBox (around 1500 cycles) and on a 18 years old laptop (Intel Celeron M 1.50Ghz running Windows XP SP3, so that's also DOS emulation) and works fine. It only uses PC Speakers for sound/music (S to switch or turn off) because I'm dead certain my previous programs couldn't run on genuine hardware due to my crappy SoundBlaster code.
It should work.
Fingers crossed.
(All sources included as usual.)
Attachments
COLUMNS.ZIP
(112.9 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
Erik
Veteran

Re: Columns in QB - Release

Post by Erik »

Wow! This is some incredible work. That looks and plays fantastic! It's been many years since I last played Columns so I don't know if it's in the original but I did like the grace period when the column lands where you can quickly still switch the jewels around or slide it to the side. It was especially helpful once the speed really gets going.

I used the in-game screenshot function to capture my game over high score: 81,910 @ lvl 14 starting with Novice Level 0. (I had to convert it to png because this forum doesn't seem to like bmp attachments)
Attachments
CAPT0001.png
CAPT0001.png (4.47 KiB) Viewed 12985 times
MikeHawk
Veteran

Post by MikeHawk »

Thanks!
Yes, the short delay before the column is placed was in the original game. I got some things close enough (holding the down arrow key increases the score like it does on the Genesis, but there's a one point difference because I didn't pay attention to the delay before cementing the column,) and others not so much (I learned later that diagonals are supposed to give more points than vertical or horizontal streaks.) The speed is also not the same. It seems there's a different set of rules and scoring according to the game mode, it's all very confusing.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Awesome work!

Also, I checked out your QB website. What a blast from the past! I love seeing a throwback style of website in this day and age. :)
Anthony.R.Brown
Veteran

Post by Anthony.R.Brown »

Very nice! :)
Erik
Veteran

Post by Erik »

Hey Mike,

I stumbled across this old remake of Columns in QB from 2001. It's not bad. Yours definitely seems to play better but it's interesting to see different people's take on the same source material.

Here's a link if you haven't stumbled upon it yet: http://www.phatcode.net/downloads.php?id=117
Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-07-20 00-50-18.png
Screenshot from 2023-07-20 00-50-18.png (411.46 KiB) Viewed 10223 times
MikeHawk
Veteran

Post by MikeHawk »

The Autumn Springs Columns clone was one of the reasons I wanted to write my own. It has a sweet audio engine and looks good but some choices are baffling to me. It uses a high-resolution SVGA graphic mode so they could have square pixels but they also made every pixel 4x their size (I mean, if you're going to use a non-standard graphic mode anyway, go for 320x240 instead,) it also flickers way too much and is unresponsive at times. Too bad. I got 7 other Columns clones in my collection, I attached a sample and a list of the games I have sorted so far.

How's your Halloween maze game going by the way?

EDIT: added Doomed, by Rodrigo Rocha Gomes e Souza
Attachments
DOOMED.ZIP
By Erik's request
(5.59 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
list.zip
Current collection
(26.94 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
CCLONES.RAR
Some Columns clone (not including the Autumn Springs one)
(112.77 KiB) Downloaded 205 times