Voxels are Coming

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Eclipzer

Voxels are Coming

Post by Eclipzer »

Here's a shot of a voxel viewer I've been working on over the past few days. Eventually this will be a full blown editor, once more of the core programming is completed.

Kudos if you can recognize the model.

-Eclipzer
Anima
Coder

Post by Anima »

I've been waiting for another good graphics editor, I hope you finish it soon! 8)
My site = animaproductions.us.tf
Eclipzer

Post by Eclipzer »

Here's a release build for the viewer. Take a look here:

http://www.eclipzer.com/voxel_viewer005.zip

It's simple but functional. C&C welcome.

-Eclipzer
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

okay stupid question...whats a voxel...? :oops:
Eclipzer

Post by Eclipzer »

A voxel is a 3D extension of a pixel. The actual word is patterned from the word pixel (picture element) and is short for volume element. The idea behind voxels is to use small colored cubes (voxels) to construct 3D models.

Voxels have been around, they just aren't really mainstream primarily because the majority of real-time 3d graphics are rendered using polygons. This is mostly due to the fact that hardware acceleration supports the rendering of polygons, which means its extremely fast to render polys.

Regardless, there are games, demos and editors based soley around voxels. They're simply very hard to come by. Personally, I've always been fascinated by them. They're reminescent of legos. Anyawy, hope this clears things up for you.

-Eclipzer